For every Bible-believing church in a city, county, or region, to unite in prayer for spiritual awakening in your area, and for the advancement of God’s kingdom throughout the world.
To form a 24/7 Prayer Watch, monthly Concerts of Prayer, and other prayer efforts through the cooperative effort of all the churches.
- We seek to bring glory to God through Jesus Christ, and not to any man.
- We strive for unity between churches, pastors, and leaders of Christian ministries around the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- We believe that united prayer is the greatest power-source made available to us by God to establish God’s kingdom on earth.
Prayer ministry is shepherded and facilitated by pastors, ministry leaders, and intercessors in your city, county, or region. Each shepherd and facilitator subscribes to the National Association of Evangelical’s statement of faith.
The prayer movement depends on the participation of each church engaging as they are able and called of God. Ideally, each church will be involved in:
- Prayer Coordinator’s Gatherings. Each church is encouraged to send a prayer coordinator to a monthly prayer and planning session, at a designated time and place. Pastors are encouraged to attend these gatherings as well.
- Prayer Watches. Each involved church is encouraged to cover at least one day per month (and up to day per week) on a Prayer Watch. The goal is to have the Watch filled (yet always growing) within 3-6 months of it’s initiation.
Prayer Watch Brochure »
Prayer Watch Bulletin Insert »
- Church Prayer Meetings. Each involved church is encouraged to host their own monthly or weekly prayer gathering. The Awake! Prayer Ministry offers tools, guidelines, and encouragement to this end.
- Countywide Prayer Gatherings. Participating churches and ministries should plan to gather at regular intervals at a host facility accessible to its participants.
Additional aspects of the prayer ministry may include Prayer Walks, Pastor’s Prayer Retreats, etc. Below are two documents, the first is a simple organizational description of a local prayer movement, and the other is a prayer FAQ. You are free to download and distribute these documents as needed.
Organizational Description of Prayer Movement »
Prayer FAQ »
Guidelines for Prayer Watches
1. Find a quiet place where you can pray without interruption. Your pastor may have provided a central place in your church for people on the watch, may encourage each Watch participant to pray in their homes, or may encourage both options.
2. Begin your prayers, asking for protection and guidance, and read aloud some of God’s promises related to prayer (e.g.: Matthew 18:18-19, John 14:11-14; 15:7,16; 16:23-24, James 5:13-18, 1John 5:14-15; Psalm 91:15—or the whole Psalm, or other Psalms; Jeremiah 29:11-13).
3. Intercede using the common prayer requests listed below, shared by all on the Watch. These requests will be updated based on input given by members on the Watch.
4. Pray also for specific requests provided by your pastor, church prayer coordinator, or from other sources.
5. Consider following a Biblical pattern for prayer, such as:
- The Lord’s prayer (Matthew 6:9-13: Which includes elements of adoration and praise, surrender, petition for needs, confession, and prayers for guidance).
- The ACTS formula: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication (praying for needs of others).
- A pattern for praying for others such as those found in Ephesians 3:14-19, Philippians 1:9-11, or Colossians 1:9-12, Daniel 9:4-19, and many of the Psalms.
Common Requests for Everyone on a Watch
- Pray for spiritual awakening to impact every church in your city, county, and/or region.
- Pray for unbelievers to hear and believe the Gospel of salvation, locally and globally.
- Pray for churches to experience unity within their walls, and for God to build unity between congregations.
- Pray for ministries in Christ’s name to help the poor in body, mind, and spirit to form and be energized by God throughout your area.
- Pray for the protection of pastors in your area and around the world. Pray also for the gospel and sound teaching to fill pulpits around the country.
- Pray for the government, national to local, to be blessed with God’s wisdom and to fulfill God’s purpose.
- Pray for persecuted Christians around the world to know God’s strength and enduring grace.
- Pray for Watch participants to be inspired, encouraged, and anointed of God to be faithful to their times, praying with holy boldness.
- Ask God to continue building the prayer movement in your area in a way that cannot be stopped. May the Lord receive all the glory and may the glory of the Lord fill our land!