Scripture Awakening partners with the Community Foundation of Henderson County
- Online donations are made through the Community Foundation. Click here to go to the Community Foundation/Kenmure Fights Cancer donation page.
Corporate Matching Funds
- If your company has a matching funds program, donations can be made directly to SA through the Community Foundation. See more . .
- Did you know that if you are 70 1/2 or older, you can donate your required IRA distribution to charity and not pay taxes on the distribution? Click here to read all about it.
- Scripture Awakening has a “designated funds” account with the Community Foundation. This type of fund is eligible to receive distributions direct from your IRA account.
- For more information, please contact our Finance Director, Bob Price (727-421-6807 or email) or the Community Foundation at 828-697-6224.
- Scripture Awakening is qualified to accept donations from private foundations that require their recipients be an IRS 501c3 charity. Contact the Community Foundation for the procedure. 828-697-6224. A complete description of our relationship with the Community Foundation may be seen in here.
How it Works
- The Foundation provides the benefits of a 501c3 corporation without the up-front costs and ongoing tax filings that would otherwise be incurred. They take on the paperwork for all tax-related donations, including sending acknowledgement letters for qualified donations. They will also provide a way for us to receive contributions online.
- The Donor Advised Funds program allows us to decide who will get the funds we raise. We can give all or part of any funds raised during a given year to the organization(s) of our choice as long as the receiving organization meets CFHC requirements.
- Management fee: The annual fee is 1% of all contributions plus out-of-pocket expenditures incurred on our behalf (ex: if we raised $50,000, the fee would be $500 plus expenses).
Much as we hate to take away even a single penny of our hard earned funds from the recipients, we believe these costs are reasonable and the benefit has been well worth it. The ability to receive funds from foundations added to the credibility of CFHC have encouraged more donations. A quick look at the Donation History proves this.
How this affects our donors and event participants:
The Community Foundation has two types of events, Independent and Foundation Affiliated.
IE’s are the simplest for us to run because they do not require approval by CFHC or oversight for promotional materials.
- Only the net proceeds of the event are sent to the Foundation.
- Individual participants (ticket purchasers, sponsors, etc.) will not receive an individual acknowledgement from CFHC and therefore will not be eligible for a tax deduction for any part of their purchase/donation.
Payment for Independent Events:
- Kenmure Country Club members may charge fees for these events to their accounts. The statement will reflect the amount donated, but this does not indicate tax deductibility.
- Non-KCC members may pay for these events with a credit card at KCC.
- You may pay by check, however, individual tax acknowledgements will not be issued, as stated above.
Foundation Affiliated Events
In the eyes of the IRS, this type of fundraising is done on behalf of CFHC. The Community Foundation is legally responsible for all fundraising undertaken on its behalf. CFHC and the donor can face serious penalties if careful procedures are not established and followed.
This means our donors enjoy the tax benefits, but we are required to have events themselves approved in advance by CFHC. Promotional materials must also be approved. Here’s how donations will be handled:
- The event chair collects and records individual contributions. He/she passes on cash and checks to the Treasurer who then gives them to the Foundation.
- Online contributions are recorded by the Community Foundation, who advises the event chair that a donation has been made.
- CFHC sends acknowledgement letters to the donors. These letters qualify the contribution as tax deductible.
Payment for Foundation Affiliated Events:
- Cash, check or online credit card payment through CFHC. Eligible for tax deduction as below.
- KCC Member Charge: You may charge to your KCC account, however, the donation will not be tax deductible if you choose this method.
- Preferred method: Checks are preferred because the typical credit card charge fee will be deducted from the total amount that we receive.
The Kenmure Fights Cancer Board selects recipients on an annual basis. These recommendations are then submitted to the Community Foundation.
- Recipients of the funds must meet CFHC requirements and be approved by them.
- Recommendations will, in each case, be evaluated independently by the Foundation staff to determine if they are consistent with the purposes of the Foundation that include philanthropic organizations in the arts and culture, education, health, human services and other fields.
- Grantees must also be charitable organizations as defined in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and pass the Foundation’s due diligence procedure.
Kenmure Fights Cancer has donor advised and designated funds with the Community Foundation of Henderson County.